UPDATE FOR 2021: Bastille Day celebrations will resume this yr and are set to accommodate 25,000 viewers. The seated space won’t have formal spacing however social distancing and masks can be required. In the meantime, the standing space can have a 4-sqm spacing rule for each particular person. All in all, individuals can be allowed to enter Champs-Elysées for the parade.
One of many European celebrations that it is best to NOT miss out on could be the French Nationwide Day: ‘Bastille Day‘ in France!
Referred to as in lots of names: La Fête Nationale (The Nationwide Celebration), La Fête de la Bastille (Bastille Celebration), or Le Quatorze Juillet (the fourteenth of July), this superb affair is well known yearly on the 14th of July. With French individuals everywhere in the world celebrating at the present time, naturally, it’s a HUGE celebration — extra so in Paris as they maintain festive occasions for all tastes and ages from the early hours of the morning until the wee hours of the night time.
That’s why this yr, I used to be extremely blissful once I was invited to the ‘Metropolis of Love‘ to hitch the fête!
Come and take a look at this listing of the high issues to do in Paris which options the very best actions and excursions to do out and in of the town!
About Bastille Day
- Bastille Day commemorates the Storming of the Bastille (a fortress and jail for individuals who opposed France’s kings) on July 14, 1789, thereby marking the French Revolution.
- Bastille Day solely turned a nationwide vacation in 1880 and the French proceed to have fun it at this time as a method of recognizing the importance of this occasion which ushered the finish of the royal monarchy and the start of its fashionable republic.
- It is just on Paris’ Bastille Day that you simply get to witness the oldest and largest common navy parade in Europe! It occurs on the morning of July 14 on the Champs-Élysées.
So how was it for me? Nicely, I definitely had a swell time spending Bastille Day in Paris — it was memorable and I extremely counsel that you simply make it some extent to attend this too!
• • •
Issues to Do on Bastille Day
» 9AM: Witness the Army Parade (Défilé Militaire) at Champs-Élysées
As I’ve already talked about above, that is Europe’s oldest and largest common navy parade; due to this fact, it’s fairly a sight to see!
All site visitors will normally be closed beginning at 7AM in Champs-Elysées and its surrounding streets, and it’s truly round 10AM that this system begins from the Arc de Triomphe — nevertheless, I’ve talked about 9AM as a result of it’s at all times greatest to return early. Given the hype that surrounds this navy parade, it could actually get very crowded!
So throughout this parade, trumpets would typically first sign the arrival of the President of the French Republic, the Air Pressure will begin cruising low within the sky both doing stunts or spreading coloured smoke (after all within the colours of the French flag and it typically occurs round 10:45AM), after which the elite models of the French military will begin to parade down the picturesque avenue all the way down to Place de la Concorde on foot, on bikes, on horses, on tanks, on jeeps, and many others.
Lately, it has even develop into a customized for France to ask models from its shut allies to take part within the parade. For this yr, they’ve invited troops from Australia and New Zealand.
- There can be a HUGE crowd. Tons of individuals will line up on either side of the avenue of Champs-Elysées and safety may even be fairly tight! Given this truth, it’s advisable that you simply come early; or in the event you can’t, carry a stool to face on (I’ve seen some individuals doing this).
- It’s greatest to keep away from standing beneath a giant tree as a result of you possibly can miss seeing the aerial present in the course of the parade. The most effective spots to be in could be beneath George V avenue.
- Another choice is to return round 8AM or earlier to order a seat in one of many open cafés or eating places in Champs-Elysées which can be on an higher stage of a constructing.
- A number of the metro stations close to Champs-Elysées can be closed from 8AM till 12PM. They’re not at all times the identical yearly, however more often than not it’s the stations of Concorde, George V, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Champs Elysees Clemenceau, and Tuileries that can be closed. That being stated, do ensure that to test earlier than you go!
- Earlier than and after the present, I took the Saint-Philippe du Roule metro cease and it was only a 5-minute stroll to get to the avenue space.
- To test which metro stations can be closed, go right here.
- After the Bastille Day parade, you possibly can stroll on the Avenue des Champs-Elysées till 6PM because it transforms right into a pedestrian-only highway in the meanwhile so go mad snapping photos away on this spot!
– – –
» Remainder of the Day: See Paris’ Sights or Watch a FREE Film Outside
Although it’s a nationwide vacation, numerous Paris’ eating places, museums, and sights keep open — a few of them may even be entered for FREE. For that purpose, it is best to make use of this time to go to the Louvre Museum, the Notre Dame de Paris, the Musée d’Orsay, the Chateâu de Versailles and a lot extra!
For concepts, go learn my information right here:
If nevertheless, you simply need to chill with pals, you possibly can attend a FREE Open Air Cinema within the inexperienced lawns of Parc de la Villette that’s positioned within the nineteenth district within the northeastern a part of Paris. It runs from July to August as a part of its annual Open Air Movie Competition — so it’s among the best issues to do on Bastille Day.
You’ll be able to at all times hire chairs and blankets on web site if in case you didn’t get the possibility to carry one. However like I stated, it’s open for all! If you wish to entry the garden on different dates, you should register on the La Villette web site. (Most movies, nevertheless, are in French however there are additionally international movies being performed however with French subtitles.)
For more information, you possibly can test by right here.
– – –
» 9PM: Catch the Dwell Live performance and Fireworks Present at Champ de Mars
Yet one more spotlight of at the present time that’s nice to do with pals as you carry alongside a picnic blanket, some meals, and bottles of wine!
So before everything, the reside classical live performance will begin at 9:15PM on the foot of the Eiffel Tower that includes the Orchestre Nationwide de France and the Choir of Radio France — this will change within the coming years, however up to now they’ve been persistently doing it. They may carry out well-liked present tunes and soundtracks, and by the top of the night time (in the course of the fireworks present) they are going to play the French nationwide music: Le Marseillaise.
The Fireworks Present will begin at precisely 11PM and the dazzling lights will set off from the Eiffel Tower and the gardens of Trocadéro for about 35 minutes.
- As per regular, Parisians and guests alike can be flocking to this, so if you wish to have the very best view, reserve your picnic spot on Champ de Mars at round 5PM. (Some individuals even begin marking their territory on the early hours of the morning!)
- Relaxation assured, there are different spots in Paris which can be good for watching the fireworks (akin to that on a Seine river cruise). I didn’t handle to get a spot in Champ de Mars so I ended up within the bridge of Pont de l’Alma which nonetheless had nice views of all of it (as you possibly can see in my video and within the photograph above)! For the opposite greatest locations to view the fireworks show, you possibly can learn my put up beneath…
- Bear in mind that there are only a few public bogs and they’ll find yourself being crowded too; so I counsel that you simply put together some money beforehand for purchasing low cost drinks in close by cafés or bars as a way to use their restroom.
- Very like the Bastille Day Army Parade, metro stations inside the neighborhood can be closed earlier than and/or after the present.
- Even when there are close by metro stations open after the Fireworks Present, they are going to be full of individuals so I counsel that you simply put on snug sneakers for strolling because you would possibly must stroll a bit additional out from the Champs de Mars space to get to a metro station that’s open and fewer crowded.
- After the present, I needed to stroll a bit to achieve the Iéna metro station (because it was the closest connection to my lodge positioned within the Bastille neighborhood). As soon as I used to be there, I needed to look ahead to 10 minutes nonetheless till the group thinned a bit extra.
- To test which metro stations can be closed, go right here.
- For those who suppose you will get a taxi or Uber — don’t. The encircling space can be in a jam so that you’re actually higher off strolling.
– – –
» Late Evening: Attend a Fireman’s Ball (Les Bals des Pompiers)
One good method to keep away from the busy metro stations after the Fireworks Present: make a detour and attend a close-by Fireman’s Ball!
Because the title goes, this social gathering takes place in fireplace stations (casernes) round Paris’ 20 arrondissements — so sure, you possibly can social gathering with (scorching) firemen and French people! *wink*
Whereas there are many selections to go for Firemen’s Balls, it’s stated that the very best events are finished on the eve of Bastille Day (July 13). You’ll be able to see on this hyperlink a listing of the taking part fireplace stations.
These aren’t just for leisure however for charity too since there’s at all times a small entrance payment to be paid for and naturally, snacks and drinks to purchase. For those who’re up for it, the firemen may even be promoting raffle tickets and once more, all the proceeds can be given to charities or for the advance of their very own amenities.
For those who keep in these locations up till late night time, most of them will rework right into a dance membership full of youthful individuals, full with a DJ.
- These all-night soirees begin at round 9PM till the early hours of the morning (however most would wind down round midnight)
- These events don’t solely occur on the 14th of July but in addition on the thirteenth; however take notice that metro stations are open till 2:15AM solely throughout lately.
- If you need a whole listing of Fireman’s Ball events going round in Paris, test by this hyperlink.
• • •
» High Paris Excursions «
Come and take a look at my listing of the ‘Greatest Accommodations in Paris’ which options the highest advisable selections for reasonable to luxurious lodging selections.
• • •
The month of July is actually a time whereby the entire of France comes alive, and even in the event you’re not an area, you’re at all times welcome to have fun Bastille Day with the French individuals!
If you wish to be on the heart of all of it, then for certain a visit to Paris on July 14 is a should. With tons of occasions and actions to select from, it’s now my hope that you simply get probably the most out of at the present time with the assistance of this information. Bonne Fête Nationale!
Have you ever seen my newest vlog?